Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Favorite books

ANOTHER
LIST
POST
I hope none of you are getting tired of my posts that are purely lists. If  you are, too bad. Sorry, but not actually sorry. Go write your own blog if you don't like it.
Here are a few of my favorite books. I have collected most of my favorites, but there are a few that aren't pictured that deserve an honorable mention: The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxy by Sam Maggs, My name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok, and Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass.
I really love reading. Maybe I don't do it as much as I did when I was young, extra nerdy, and friendless, but I still break out in hives if I can't go to the library once a week. My issue with books nowadays is that if I look in the children's section, I will find great books that I like, but I finish them in five seconds because they are below my reading level. If I go to the teen section, either they are all cliches, inappropriate, below my reading level, or all three. In the adults section, way too much of it is unknown or boring or again, inappropriate even if the reading speed is more my type. Here are the books that have more or less passed all of my tests.
STARGIRL by Jerry Spinelli- this one is a bit below my reading level, but ever since I first read it I fell in love. Not only does Spinelli's dreamy almost idyllic and inspiration writing style captivate me, but the character's in it are among my favorite of all time. Stargirl has been and will always be one of my role models with her eternal optimism, honesty, and individualism. It paints a beautiful picture of high school, marching to your own drum, the wonder of the desert and enchanted places, and will remain on my shelf for eternity.
Anne Frank; The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank and edited by Otto Frank- I've talked about Anne before. What more can I say on this amazing girl? Not only were her writing skills far beyond her age, but her honesty and consistency were awesome. Being at an age where the last thing you want to do is be around your family and other adults, she had to live with seven other people. This is a good read not just because of it's historical wonder, but for her writing style and story overall.
Ender's Game- by Orson Scott Card. My dad first introduced this to me when I was going through my intense sci-fi phase. It is a book like no other. It is intense, out of the ordinary, and insanely well written. The story itself, and the idea behind it, are awesome in their own respect. Ender is a third, or third child in a society where more than one child is against the ordinary. While he is incredibly young, he is recruited to go to Battle School to learn to become a soldier or general in the space war that has been waging for years. It turns out Ender is not only smarter than kids' older than him, but he is one of the greatest student's the school has seen and goes on to do incredible things at the cost of his conscience. Read the book, ignore the movie. I'm not dissing the movie, but don't see it first, friends.
Welcome to Night Vale by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor- OH MY GOODNESS, Do NAWT even get me started on this. I got the novel for my birthday and I'm using it as my Book o' Choice in my english class for a  project. The weirdness of it! The creepiness of it! The sweetness, the lovableness, the overall greatness that is Night Vale! Joseph Fink told us to mark 2015 as the greatest year of our lives for this reason, and I agree, sir. Though you might not 100% understand it unless you're in the fandom, I will let you know that it is great. It's different from the podcast since it follows character's we don't often hear about instead of the leads, but it contains no less of the bizarre weirdness you can't explain to your friends or family.
The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux- I read this this summer after watching the musical and I was moved beyond words by it. I'm a pretty emotion reader, I'll admit. I cry and laugh and make all other sorts of weird sounds while reading, and this book was more so than usual. In the book, the Phantom has a name; Erik, there is more focus on the phantom's lair, Raoul is even more annoying, and Christine is blonde. A lot has changed between the two, including the difference of  the character; the Persian, and the fact that Erik is a lot scarier looking and more deranged in the book. Maybe in the musical they wanted to soften him up a little bit to make him a more pitiful character. Anyway, aside from the hard to read french words this book is super emotionally emptying and one of my favorites


No comments:

Post a Comment