Friday, November 11, 2016

Traveling Music

My math class has turned into a bit of a time machine. My teacher always plays music in class, and 9/10 it is a song that I remember. Maybe it's not a song that I necessarily like now, but I did know it a while ago, and it was distinct enough to remember. Like 'Postcard' by The Barenaked Ladies, or 'Party in the U.S.A' by Miley Cyrus, or 'You and I' by Ingrid Michaelson (please, I don't understand my geometry teacher's tastes either...) This is traveling music to me; not in the sense of a road trip; but in the way that makes me travel.
'Postcard' takes me back to 2008 or so, when I thought it was the funniest best song ever because it talked about monkeys. Amazon and I would sing it in our shared bedroom quietly because we were embarrassed by our 8/6 year old voices.
'Party in the U.S.A' takes me to when Bean was first born, and she would laugh and giggle whenever it was played. We decided it was her favorite song. I was going through a sign language kick at the time, and learned the whole chorus (which I can still do.)
'You and I' puts me in Illinois again, when I was first developing my own musical tastes. 'You and I' was for my occasional happy moment; when I felt invincible to the corn fields and empty people around me. 'Keep Breathing' and 'The Chain' were more often played and reserved for when the endless Midwestern skies seemed oppressively close.
It reminds me of that one line in 'Stressed Out' (yes, I'm a legit TOP fan, and yes, I still like 'Stressed Out'. Good for freaking you if you don't) "Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young/ How come I'm never able to identify where it's coming from". But in this case, it isn't smells, but sounds. They can directly evoke our life.
I want to talk to people about this, and ask them about what they used to be, or what they remember. There are so many ways that you can learn about a person; I'm a big believer that their music tastes is one way to see into them. Past music tastes can be even stronger.
Anyways.
Have a good Friday. Tell me about where your music takes you
(Jeez this is the most somber and pretentious post I've written in a while. Forgive)
Here is a dumb  photo off of sketchpad. Yep.

No comments:

Post a Comment